Thursday, October 26, 2017

Mostly Afters

Hello Friends!!!

Recently, I'm all over the creative planet.  

From doodling in a sketchbook, to working landscape in the yard, to painting walls, signs and doors, bathroom makeovers, coloring my hair.... you name it.... I've touched, moved, dug, cleaned, made, purged, hung, hammered.... something!!!!

I thought I did before pictures.... I have some.... but I'm sure you'll get the idea of where we began with this project.

Our master bathroom.


Marquee Lights

We are the second owners of our home and have painted our master bathroom twice in the 11 years we have lived here.  The house was built in 1999.  I'm sure you get the idea of how it looked... huge mirror over double sinks, long Hollywood light bulb fixture, the last wall color was like a poopy light brown.  You could almost have a hoe down barn dance with the floor space in here... the carpet on the floor is about 6 x 8.... that's feet!  Nobody needs a bathroom this huge.... but heck it was appealing when we bought the house.

 It was time for an update!


All wired up

My husband Jeff has learned.... in our 29 years.... how to become a fix it man!  

He is wonderful at what he has learned to do, and re-do!  Beyond the basics, he knows how to re-wire, and fix a leaky faucet, put dry wall up, paint, remove caulk, change out window screens, brick and mortar ... here he is taking the old bar lights off....
(We actually sold them on a local Facebook Garage Sale for $10)


Huge Mirror, Long Lights, Big Master Bathroom

We did have to hire a REAL electrician to help with some parts.... see, we have found in this house that either it went up really fast, they were able to go around some of the building codes, the installer didn't know what he was doing.... or all of the above!  We had to have an electrician install the actual light box up to code that the wires would go into!  We had some other electrical issues (outside).... so we decided since we had the professional here, he would make a few other updates and changes as well!

Right now, with the surge and popularity of shows like Fixer Upper on HGTV, I liked what I saw in the Industrial Farm House look.  So, we ordered lights online and made a recycled horse fence wood frame for the mirror.  If you are interested further in any of our process, email me at prdesigns1@sbcglobal.net and I'd be happy to share any information.

New paint color on the walls, Sherwin Williams, Agreeable Grey
(Thanks Becky) 


A suggestion was made by our lovely daughter, that maybe we should paint the cherry wood cabinets a milky white.... not sure.  (Thanks Ho) It is not a priority for this make over!
Rug purchased online... Overstock.com.


Lovely Lights

Here is a look at the cute BRIGHT lights.  Found them online after looking through Pinterest.  And then with the frame.  We knew we didn't want to try and pull that huge mirror off the wall.  We had already experienced that with the smaller guest bathroom.  THAT, they secured on the wall so well!!!!  

We saw ideas about 'framing' the mirror!  We also had a friend tell us about a reclaimed wood warehouse. (Thanks MK) We pre-measured the mirror and found 3 beautiful pieces of wood that were from the fencing of a horse farm.  Can't really tell you how to do this frame... we measured, used the mitre saw, sanded, and put it together with nails and plates.  You can't really see it, and shhhh, please don't tell, but the bottom part of the frame is warped.... we really didn't feel or see it until we hooked it on the wall.... it bows out on the bottom... so, we fixed it with some velcro!


This frame is actually removable, it slides over the top of the mirror with something like a J hook.


Found these cute corner braces at Hobby Lobby.  They are for decoration, but they do solidify the frame corners.


This is an old chair that I had sitting on my porch.  I painted it with Rust-oleum Ultra matte chalk paint in Coastal Blue, and decided I had plenty of room to add it as a shelf in the corner by the tub.

Hobby Lobby Wall Art

Love Hobby Lobby when they have what I want, on Sale at 50% off.... so, to keep the rustic feel, this is a pre-made to look old window pane, and I added the wreath to bring a little greenery into the bathroom!

Ikea finds

Fun too!  I was at Ikea and found these beauties.... I guess they are getting on the Industrial Farmhouse bandwagon as well as their Modern Minimalist look.... or maybe it's crossover styles.  These items were all under $5 each.

Happiness is Homemade

The sign, I re-purposed from my craft fair from last year.  See what it looked like before... here. Again, this is just spray paint from the Rust-oleum Coastal Blue Chalked ultra matte paint.  Same as the chair.  Then I used actual school chalk, and wrote the sign.  

Cute, right????

Hobby Lobby baskets

A little farmhouse basket from Hobby Lobby, on sale.... above the toilet topper!

Towel Hook

This hook is something that has been next to the shower for years.  I believe it was found at Lowes... in their hooks and shelves area.  Just bare wood before and the silver brushed nickel hardware.  I had painted it the brownish cherry wood color that matches the cabinetry.  It still looks awesome.... we put our towels there for easy access when we get out of the shower.

PRDesign touch

And finally, a close up of the sign.  I can change it out anytime... right??? because it is a chalk board and I assume will just erase off!!!

Good thing is.... this bathroom had good bones..... no leaky faucets or cabinets falling apart, tile in tact and updated faucets.... most expensive thing was the lights.

It was time for a makeover.  This project did take us a few weeks and probably cost us about $1200 for the updates included the cost for an electrician here and in other parts of the house.

 Leave me a comment.  Tell me what you think of our Master Bathroom Makeover!

If you would like any further information email me at : prdesigns1@sbcglobal.net

Thanks for stopping by
Peggy

creative greetings.... and more!




No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin