Tuesday, July 15, 2014

I Still Make Greeting Cards

Well, there will be a final post to our vacation out to Missouri, but in-between time ... I thought I'd post a few creative greetings that I recently made for a special order.

Cards, designs, themes, colors, subject matter, size, captions, phrases .....There are so many choices!!! 

I don't know if I mentioned, but when we were in Kansas City, MO.... we actually stopped at the Hallmark Headquarters. 


 
We took a self guided tour through their entrance/museum.  It was filled with greeting cards throughout their history and then there were ornaments, and collectors pieces.  I must say it was very pretty!
 
For years I'd have people call me Peggy Hallmark. 
 
Seriously, I know my cards are good!  
 
We met a Hallmark artist who was sort of on display working in the museum.  I talked with her for about 10 minutes.  She was born and raised in the Kansas City area.  Most of the artists have worked for the company for over 30 years.  She had been there for just a little over 5 years, considered a newby.  But it was her dream to work for Hallmark, and her dream came true. Her degree was in commercial art and drawing. She has been a featured artist for some winter themed cards.

 
But with so many companies out there that create paper, and ink and stamps and die cuts.... it's not that hard to be your own card maker.  I truly love the satisfaction of creation.  And don't tell anyone, sshhhh, but I really can copy well!!!
 
So, for my latest order of 5 cards .... all generic birthday cards.... I used what I had on hand, and here are the results.... creative greetings..... handmade by prdesigns!!!
 
 
 
Sometimes, the most simplest design, is the best.


Here is my inspiration for this card.  It sells at the Papyrus (card site that promotes it's 'hand made' cards,)website for $10.00, called chick with a red balloon.
 
On and on I went, creating my own little images with the supplies I had.  Yes, I could duplicate these cards, but like I said before, I get very bored creating the same thing over and over and over again.  Five cards, 5 different designs.
 

It was also fun finding the supplies on hand that I could use to somewhat 'up-cycle'.  For instance, the candles on the cupcake below are twist ties in a small packet.... and they are shiny and perfect for just that little bling 'pop' needed for this card.

 
I was thinking the other day after our vacation was over.... I have been making greeting cards for over 25 years now.  I've truly got to be over the 5,000 made.  Not every card was purchased.  Some were given as gifts.  Others were bartered for other crafty items, and some were never sold.
 
I think I've been pretty successful.  Not often do people have a hobby that they get paid to create what they love most,  even if it's a few bucks here and there.  I'm determined to brighten someone's day.... where ever my cards are mailed to.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin