Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Hey there!

Did you know that a 'smiley' face is now known as an Emoticon ( a facial expression pictionally represented by punctuation and letters, usually to express a writers mood).

The image above looks slightly human with two eyes and a line for the lips... according to Wikipedia it was seen in 1953 & 1958 in promotional campaigns for motion pictures Lili & Gigi. I did not know that it went back that far.

In 1963 Commercial Artist Harvey Ball is credited for the first 'smiley' button with the iconic yellow background, dark oval eyes and the crease in the mouth for the smile. :) I recall seeing bumper stickers and having buttons as a kid.... the 'smiley' face was pop culture.... Have a Nice Day!!!

I still love that part in Forrest Gump where some PR guy runs along Forrest just as he's been sprayed from tire mud.... and the guy gives Forrest a t-shirt to clean his face.... and it leaves behind a "Smiley" face image... the guy thinks he has created genius and Forrest says... $h!t happens!!!!

I so enjoy taking something that is iconic.... and I can use it today.... and make an adorable piece of FuN MaiL for a friend. And then everyone thinks I'm amazing with my cre8tive greetings!! And I'm recycling art!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin