Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Is it Winter or not?

in the depths of
winter i finally
learned that there
was in me an
invincible summer
~albert camus

 
 
Week #50 LIFE'S simple pleasure -winter

So, over this past weekend we got our first real measurable amount of snowfall here in the upper Midwest.  About 4".  It looks pretty, and it's cold... last night the thermometer dipped to -2 degrees. 

May I remind you it's not even winter yet according to the calendar!

My husband would like to disagree in regard to that statement... it's like those who wont turn their airconditioning on during a fluke 95 degree day in the middle of April.  Or those fanatics that will not turn their furnace on when it dips into the 30s at the end of October... the calendar doesn't say so! 

Forget about modern conveniences and comfort for the sake of what date it is on the calendar! You showed them!!!

I was walking Cooper (the black lab mix) yesterday without his sidekick Pomeranian Tucker.  Little Tucker's footpads couldn't handle the snow and the extreme cold.  Poor little doggie.

During our walk I happened upon a man who was shoveling his driveway (sans a hat and gloves). He lives on a different street than us.

I said hello, with a wave.  He commented back, "what do you think of this?".... motioning to all the snow.  I stated back that I didn't really mind, yes it was very cold but the sun was shining.  And it's winter and I can't change it, so I am going to look for the good in it!  It looks pretty.

 I think he was surprised!  We are so used to people agreeing with us about the negative things.

It truly is a mindset.  You are only as old as you feel.  So what if the calendar isn't quite in the winter solstice, 4" of snow and -2 degrees, it's winter.  You don't have to be rich to sparkle.  Wherever you go, bring your own sunSHINE.

Even in winter an isolated patch of snow has a special quality
~ Andy Goldsworthy

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin