Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Worth the Hassle

A graduation ceremony is an event where the commencement speaker tells thousands of students dressed in identical caps and gowns that 'individuality' is the key to success.

I am just fascinated at this time of year saluting the graduate. There are so many talented, smart and well rounded young people spotlighted.  It's well deserved!
 
It's a major LIFE milestone.
 
It is such an accomplishment!
 
The thing that makes me smile most, is seeing a new to me trend... I think it occurred a bit after my kids hit grade school... but the kindergarten graduation pictures.  Yes, they are adorable.... but 'say what???' Little 5 year olds in cap and gown with a diploma!!!
 
In my day.... we rented everything for a small fee... the cap, the gown... in my case it looked like I had a special collar in school colors (green/gold) and then we purchased the tassel for a keepsake from Jostens.
The tassel is worth the hassle.
Can you imagine getting your kindergartner all set up in a cap and gown and then paying for special pictures?? What will graduation day be like for them in 13 years when they graduate from highschool!  I can't even imagine!
 
Yes I know I'm cheap... more like frugal.... but the amount of money you have to pay for those special duds and now you get to keep it!  Rent them or pay a bit more if you want them. Why keep the gown.... after Saturday I will have 3 graduation gowns, two in maroon and one in black! Guys don't care about keeping that stuff...hmmm, I guess we could make an interesting costume out of it?? How many years do I store them until it's okay to donate?
 
Graduation day is tough for adults. They go to the ceremony as parents. They come home as contemporaries. After twenty-two years of child-raising, they are unemployed.   Erma Bombeck
 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin