Wednesday, April 18, 2012

No Problem

Disclaimer: This picture has nothing to do with today's topic. My parents came down to help celebrate my birthday over the weekend.  So, who do I look like????


The 'problem' is, that I have a big 'problem' with NO PROBLEM!

Until I did a bit of research, I found that some people have a problem with the over use of the informal use of the response to thank you! No problem!

I must say, I'm a bit touchy about the response because I was trained to say "Your Welcome" when someone says "Thank You". I guess No Problem is better than no response at all, but that doesn't mean that I like the informal pop culture language change.

I'm not an old fart, nor am I a spring chicken, but I don't remember ever being taught to say No Problem, unless I really had no problems (or no math equations). I think that the expression might have come about from songs or dudes from the Caribbean who said, "No Problem Mon".

Tone matters! From my research, if you have a problem with someone in a 'casual' atmosphere responding to your thanks with a 'no problem' attitude, then you take life way too seriously. No problem is defined as easy; not difficult, not posing problems. But when has someone thanking you become synonymous with trouble? Trouble versus problem... thus no problem is no big deal.

Maybe I'm being reassured that I'm NOT a problem when I acknowledge the waitress for bringing me water.... but I didn't think as a customer I was the PROBLEM, I'm the tipper, and I appreciate attentive service. No problem, here's your tip, your welcome!

I think I will stick to the manners and etiquette I was trained with, and the more I hear my co-workers, service people or children with their graceless response to my thank you, I will proudly and loudly acknowledge their thanks (if I get one), with a hearty "Your Welcome". That's no problem for me!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin