Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Days of Whine & Roses

Bubba & Sissy
So 'they' say (who are they again?) that a parents' job is never done .. but when is it time to push (shove) the little birdies out of the nest and either they sink or swim? Or, they soar with their wings spread far and wide, or they crash and burn?

You never knew what unconditional love was until you brought that little bundle of 'joy' home and that miracle of life and birth is just amazing popping out of that tight blanket. Will instinct take over and guide you how to raise that tiny human being?

Then you can't wait for your child to hit each milestone... lifting their head, the first smile, lifting up off the ground, rolling over, starting to crawl, the first words, walking etc.... You can't wait for them to learn to speak and as they get older and debate you about everything, you can't wait for them to shut up! You can't wait for them to walk and run, and then you can't get them to sit down for dinner.The card above is appropriately named sisters. I love the colors! I love making cards with sunshine and butterflies and shorts and smiles and whimsical fun!

And then one day, as a mom, you want to go on strike... to make a protest, to make a point... that you are no longer 'their personal' chef and chauffeur, maid, appointment setter, personal shopper.... That they need to either treat you with the respect and manners they were raised with, or that you are going to distance yourself from them for a bit... so that maybe they can see the life they have isn't really that bad.

No one wins in that situation. But sometimes, to learn and grow, some need to feel what it's like to do things for themselves and realize how truly lucky and blessed they are, and maybe this is as good as it gets. I know that my job isn't completely over, some days I was a better mom than on other days ... but now it's time to move on to the next stage.

A rant: from a mom of two teenagers, one getting ready to go off to college and one trying to be an individual with the 'do it myself' attitude.

2 comments:

Cheryl Houston said...

Oh I completely throw the "Look, you ungrateful little person- you could be in Africa where mean men still you out of your beds and kill your family and give you a whistle because you're too small to hold a gun and send you out into the war zone!" Okay- I don't actually say it like that but darn close. We watched a video together called Fallen Whistles so they know what I'm talking about. And! I always throw out the I am not your maid! I'm your mom. It's not my job to be your friend. It's my job to be raise you into independent contributing members of society! Whew! I just had my own little rant in your comment section! :)

K Hutchinson said...

Your card is adorable!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin