Friday, June 29, 2012

I'm Right!



I thought I was going to write a post about being uniquely special. I read all the time different quotes. ' be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate copy of someone else'. So I'm pumped up to tell you I'm different, but not as special as I first thought.



I'm left handed. I'm one of the 10 percent in the population that can always say "I'm in my right mind". If you recall dissecting a brain in biology class, we learned the left side of the brain controls the right hand, thus the right side of the brain controls the left.


For the longest time I've been telling people that I'm ambidextrous, because "I thought" that I was adept to using both my left & right hand equally. Just like many things in my life, I can do a lot of different things well ... but while growing up I have been confused. There is a difference between doing things equally well verses having skill and dominance.


There have been hundreds of studies of children to adults and their dominant hand usage. Most left-handed people develop 'mixed handedness' simply by living in a world where most objects are suited for right-handed people. Studies say that heredity is not involved in handedness. However, adopted children often take on the traits of their biologically parents dismissing the fact that although adoptive parents teach their young children handedness, there are varying factors in all scientific studies.


My mom is left handed and my dad is right handed. I think that is why I was a confused child. I inherited the writing and drawing skills from my mom, but my dad taught me how to play all sports. But when I was young I was often frustrated because I felt that neither hand was 'right'... I mean correct. Or, I could do things with both hands, at the same time. I'm finding that the term I should have been using was that I am 'mixed-handedness', I am able to do different tasks better with different hands.


Unfortunately, being confused most of my life I'm one of the statistics of a left hand dominant person. Studies show that we are more likely to have mental health, language & academic problems. Leonard da Vinci is one of the most famous 'mixed handed' people. He would draw with his right hand and write with his left. I write and draw with my left hand, but find that I paint better with my right hand. I used to be able to write with both hands, going forward with my left hand and going backwards with my right. Remember, I and other left handed people have often had to adapt to a right handed world.... every day items like scissors, knives, school desks, notebooks, and power tools were originally designed for 90% of the population.


Although I know I'm special, I finally discovered the correct term for my confusion. I am proud to announce that I am 'mixed handed'.... not a unique as ambidextrous... I never tire of ironing, or sweeping, shoveling or raking, painting or scrubbing.... I can do those things equally well with both sides!



1 comment:

K Hutchinson said...

Both my boys are left handed! But they play some sports left handed and some right handed! I think they get confused too! SInce Joe and I are both right handed they look at us doing it right handed and try to do it our way! My oldest Sam said the same thing either hand seems right with sports, too funny!

I think you are so talented no matter if you're right or left!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin