Tuesday, June 25, 2013

I'm Going Downtown

The trouble with you Chicago people is that you think you are the best people down here, whereas you are merely the most numerous ~ Mark Twain


I really don't want trouble... I'm just a mere tourist in the 3rd most largest populist city in the United States.  I don't have a problem walking the Mag Mile, comfort is more important to me than style.
 
I've always enjoyed stories written from people who say ... You know you are a true {insert city, state, college alum}  when   yadda yadda yadda .... and it lists all these facts that only the locals understand. 
 
Go to this blogpost,  about being a true Chicagoin, but be fowarned, some  tough language is used...
 
I'm sure most (all) people who were born and raised in Chicagoland (which includes cities in both Wisconsin and Indiana... it's true, I read that in a description somewhere here on the internet) will understand that little ditti above. I'm all for being loyal to your hometown, but we're not from these parts.
It's quite possible that Jeff and I both could (but don't think we ever would) consider Chicago(land) area to be our home.  Naw.... I was raised about 60 miles north of Chicago in Wisconsin, and he was raised about 120 miles south east in Indiana. Nope, I don't think we'd ever claim it!
 
Week # 26 - LIFE'S simple pleasures - day adventure
 
Being a tourist in our 'own' town.
 
Here is one way a travel guide advertises tourism to Chicago:

Located on Lake Michigan, Chicago is a city made up of eclectic neighbourhoods, sophisticated culture, and an amazing variety of foods, tourist sites and top shopping locations to keep your entire party entertained during your visit.

Growing up less than 5 miles from Lake Michigan (did I mention I'm from Wisconsin?), although I appreciate the Great Lake and what resources it provides.... going to downtown Chicago to see Lake Michigan is not a draw for me!  By getting lost in downtown Chicago is one way to find eclectic neighborhoods and unless you have a reason to be there, after dark it might be kind of scary (but that's in every town, I suppose).  Sophisticated culture?  In it's hey day!  I know I'm not a sophisticated kind of gal.... the cost of sophistication doesn't impress me.  Variety of foods?  Every street corner has a Dunkin Donuts or a Starbucks.  We checked out the menu at Michael Jordans' restaurant.... $38 for a steak.... it cost extra for a potato.  Tourist sites?  Which cost and arm and a leg for a basic ticket! Top shopping?  Sales tax downtown is 9.5% which is currently the highest in the US.
 
Am I gripping about Chicago, *wink*, slightly.  We stand out proudly in our neighborhood (in the Burbs) with our Greenbay Packer Flag and our Illinois license plate holder, Go Packers!  Cheeseheads unite!!! Although we can be Blackhawks fans, we can't be Bears, Cubs, Soxs or Bulls fans.  We just can't cross that line!
 
You know people, Chicago is not a state... it's a city... you live in Illinois.... and you only can live in Chicago if your zip code is 60601 (or something close to that) ....  a suburb 30 miles away is the city you live in.
 
I am still amazed about living so close to downtown!  Seven years ago when we moved here, new friends would talk about going downtown.... our little city Crystal Lake has a downtown district.... every city I have lived in has a downtown area.  But when you live in the Chicago suburbs..... downtown means DOWNTOWN!  It's a given..... DOWNTOWN = Chicago.  It took me a year or two to get it!
 
I lived in Chicago for a few years and got a sense of - kind of that broad-shouldered, windy, um, stern, Midwestern, warm-slash-passive aggressive, wonderful - every adjective I can think of, very cold.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin