Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Slow Down

The sweetest things in life are free....
Single Rose boutonniere from Prom 2013

Sometimes I think I am in the best place in the world! 

Not so much physically here in the Midwest (I'll take the good, I'll take the bad) but the time when I ended up being born.  My age group is the very last of the baby boomers... coined late bloomers!

Now you may wonder how the heck I'm going to turn this topic of smelling roses and baby boomers into a cohesive post?  I may not do it so eloquently, but my true intent is here.

I'm trying to compare a metaphor in speech to a cliche in language and what better way to do it than find an actual song with the words of STOP And smell the Roses,  sung be the one and only Mac Davis.



Now, if you are any younger than 40... you probably don't remember who the heck this guy Mac is. And that is precisely why I'm so lucky to be the age I am.  I get to remember all the great musicians, artist, actors, comedians....& entertainers from the 40s on up. I can still appreciate the meanings behind their song lyrics.  I get a kick out of their videos that were re-created from a song circa 1974.  You don't have to look hard to 'get it'.... you just have to make an effort to accept it!

If you click on Miss Piggy with Mac above, you will get to hear his song.... You gotta stop and smell the roses and count your many blessings every day.
Lilac bushes in our back yard
 
I think we can STOP, And smell the lilacs too!  After all, it is just a cliche` or is it a metaphor?  And there are a whole bunch of other beautiful flowers we can stop, behold and just breathe it all in !
 
So now, it's become a metaphor cliche`....
 
Take time today and every day to... Slow down and enjoy life.  It's not only the scenery you miss by going to fast - you also miss the sense of where you are going and why ~ Eddie Cantor
 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin