Thursday, June 03, 2010

I like to move it, move it!

Well here it is, all 16 feet of happiness!  My mural that went up at a local pre-school.  The request came in via email, where I get updates of volunteer needs in the community.  "Paint a Mural for a 2 year old pre-school room."  Thought, "I can do that". 

When the director contacted me, she said they wanted to fill a space above a window with Noah's Ark.  So, I came up with a sketch.  But when I visited the school, they already had a painting on the wall done by a boy scout.  It was quite cute.  So, we brainstormed and the director let me have free reign. 
Although I consider myself an artist, if I had to put myself in a category (are there artist categories?) I am a doodler, not an oil painter, or a water color painter. I can copy anything!  But I work off of 4" x 5" cards, not feet!!!  The right paint brushes and the color combos for shading are the un-known for me.  Yes, it looks great, a 2 year old wont know the difference, neither would a 40 year old.... but there is something...

It's hard to tell from these pictures but all the penguins and most of the palm leaves are another layer of painted foam board.  The nails (ugh) that hold the mural are behind those two dimensional areas.
I used ink from my stamping to create the clouds.

I am going to estimate 12 hours of volunteer time to create this masterpiece. On to my next project, whatever that might be!!!



2 comments:

K Hutchinson said...

HOLEY JUMPING CATFISH BATMAN! This is amazing! I totally love it! You are one amazing ARTIST!!!!!

Chelsea said...

That is soooo cool! I'm sure the kids will love it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin