Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Make Today Matter

There are two ways of spreading light - to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it. - Edith Wharton



I could substitute the word SHINE for spreading light and it would mean the same thing...since I've been a part of the House of Shine for the past few years.... I like to incorporate it where ever I can... to spread SHINE.

Week #37 - LIFE'S Simple Pleasures - volunteer

I've decided that right now, at this very moment I am on a career break.... actually, it's an extended career break.  Some might call it a sabbatical, but I think with my twist on LIFE to call it simply... a career break.
So, to stay active, get out there, meet new people, and network... I'm volunteering.  Definitely, I'm not doing as much as some, but I'm just starting to branch out.  Remember, I just became an empty nester.  My priorities were on my family and home.... and only those honest and open will pour out their soul on a blog post and tell you... this has been a huge change in my LIFE. I'm really not sure where I need to be.
 
 
So... what does it mean to volunteer?  It is generally considered an altruistic activity and is intended to promote good or improve human quality of life.  It could also mean to 'improve animal quality of life' as well. 
 
The creative greeting cards I've posted on today's blog represent the cat room at one of our cities local animal shelters.  A few years back for a summer, every other Saturday we would go to the shelter and volunteer with others to clean the 'cat room'.  We got to pet and groom cats that were available for adoption (yay).  We also got to help clean out cat litters and scrub the floors. (eww)
 


It was part of my job at the time to teach my kids to be a part of their community and have a feeling of duty or loyalty to the selflessness welfare of othersVolunteer our time for a cause we could believe in. The first step was to help better the quality of life for abandoned and abused animals.

There are so many ways to volunteer!!  I will be sharing a few of my experiences with you this week.

The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intentions - Oscar Wilde

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin