Tuesday, September 03, 2013

What's all the BUZZ about?

Be like the flower, turn your face to the sun - Kahlil Gibran

 
Often we feel the summer by the sunSHINE that touches our face, but can you use your other senses when looking at something?  Could you possibly hear the sounds of summer by looking at the picture above?

Week # 36 - LIFE'S simple pleasures - sounds of summer

I find it interesting and a bit exciting when I get an idea for a simple pleasure how the thought runs my mind to so many places.  How could seeing a sunflower help me to hear the sounds of summer? 

Today and most days when I am able to open my window I hear the cicadas buzzing, the birds chirping and sirens wailing.

My husband and I often talk about that buzzing sound we hear, we've heard it ever since we were small children in Wisconsin and Indiana.  It was the sound we heard every summer.  I always thought it was the power lines running between the poles in our backyard.  When we lived in Tennessee, there were numerous stories about the 17 year cicadas... now, we don't think much about that buzzing sound.... because we hear it most summer days here in Illinois....Cicadas are insects, best known for the sounds made by male cicadas. The males make this sound by flexing their tymbals, which are drum-like organs found in their abdomens.

Birds chirping?  You get that sound right?  More noise when it's feeding time.  We often have the pleasure of a hawk (or 3) flying overhead squawking and squeling as they pursue food from the ComEd field in our backyard.  Sometimes that 'noise' can go on for hours!

This morning I heard a city emergency siren test at 10am sharp.... first Tuesday of the month.  But I also hear a lot of ambulance, fire trucks and police sirens throughout the day as the sound of it wails through our tree lined streets to the busy mini state highway that surrounds our subdivison and hospitals are 4 miles in three directions from our home.

What thoughts come to mind when you think of the sounds of summer? What do you hear when you open your window??

There is a harmony in autumn, and a luster in its sky, which through the summer is not heard or seen, as if it could not be, as if it had not been!
 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin