Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Ya Herd?

Volunteers don't get paid, not because they are worthless, but because they're priceless - Sherry Anderson

Week #37 LIFE'S simple pleasures - being a volunteer

 
I give volunteer coordinators a lot of credit!

They must have a true passion and believe in the cause of their organization.  Since I have been part of my kid's schools' PTA and a booster of their sports clubs, I have held many different positions in these organizations.... coordinating volunteers for a fundraiser/activity is by far, one of the hardest.

For schools and sports clubs it's almost become mandatory for ALL families to participate in one capacity or another.  Before the year/season begins, you get a check list of things you are willing to do and the dates you are available to help.  That sheet is then turned into the organization and the names are given to the coordinators who then have a compiled list of people to call to set up the event, work a specific shift or position and then assignments for clean up or follow up.

Coordinating a city or county wide event I'm sure is a major challenge for someone who is in charge of seeking out volunteers.

I can no longer use the excuse that I'm new to the city we live in... we have been here over 7 years.  However, I must admit that the circle of friends we have met during this time are busier living their lives, than reaching out to bring newcomers to their civic clubs, churches or fundraising events.

Most things that I have volunteered for I found through small blurbs written up in our local newspaper.

I do think that with so many ways to access social media (email, facebook, twitter, voice mail, texting) that anyone coordinating volunteers really has no excuse of poor communication to their people.  I'm sure it was so much harder a few years ago when you had to call and call and call and never got a real live person on the other end of the phone line.  Now, you can let everybody know the information all with the click of a button!

The reason for my Lamb creative greeting card above???? About 6 years ago I volunteered for the Midwest Fiber and Folk Faire being held here in town. I really didn't know what it was.  But I think anything with the word Folk Faire is something that would interest me!!! After emailing the coordinator that I was willing to help ... I was given duty at the table for Ticket admissions. The event was coined , 'Ya Herd?'  You know me... I love pretty things and clever words.

It was a beautiful day. 

The attendees mostly were creative souls, happy to be there.

It was fun and interesting to meet new people, even if it was for a brief moment.

The coordinator often made a point to check in on us volunteers.  The task was pretty simple... take money, give tickets.  Give out maps... point to the bathrooms.

But sadly... I didn't feel a connection after that event, and never 'herd' from them again.

This volunteer activity didn't really lead me anywhere.  I didn't have a strong feeling of duty or loyalty and I certainly didn't help improve the quality of life (all things that might define a volunteer).  But everything I do ... doesn't always have to lead to something else.

No act of kindness,
no matter how small,
is ever wasted.
-Aesop-

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin