Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Falling into Place

I'm in a new stage of my LIFE and there have been a lot of changes going on around our house. 

Although it's almost 90 degrees out, it somewhat feels like fall.  The seasons are changing as well. I see leaves flying off the trees.  We've had some weird weather around here this summer.  And of course, once the kids start going back to school... it's automatically fall.

Last week I had Sinistrality (the condition I've had my entire life, being left handed) and now I have Empty Nest Syndrome  (a feeling of grief and loneliness parents may feel when their children leave home for the first time, such as to live on their own or to attend a college).

I'll admit that I'm feeling very emotional, but I'm also a little excited!!

Last Saturday I went on a 14 mile bike ride with a neighbor.  No big deal, right?  But I can't tell you the last time I ever went on 14 mile bike ride.  And it's not that I wouldn't have done it with my kids around before.... I just never did.
 
Can you see that shine on the counter top???  I can't tell you how long ago it ever looked like this for more than one day.  Granted, I am a boarder line 'cleaning freak'.... but when you have teenagers who could careless about their room or bathroom.... I stopped being their 'maid' a few years ago. (If my children are reading this... I love you very much, but sometimes you need to just clean the ick at least more than once every three months.)
 
 
My first two homegrown vine tomatoes.  I'm so proud!  Although I've grown sun flowers and pumpkins from seed, I'm not sure I was ever so blessed with this abundance of vegetation from two little free seedlings. And too, I've gardened and planted with my children and they've helped with mowing the lawn and raking the leaves.  Being an Empty Nester, I will no longer have that 'free' help.


 
Week #34 LIFE'S simple pleasures - stage of LIFE (changes)
 
I'm very proud of my two kids who both wore graduation gowns like the one above.  But I'm a bit excited that I finally stuffed it into the 'girls' closet after it was hanging off the laundry door room for 74 days.  I didn't bug her to 'put it away'.... and guess what.... she never did.
 
It's what they call bitter sweet. I'm a bit of both happy and sad that the kids are away at college.  I miss the day to day interaction.  I miss their hugs.  I miss the sound of their footsteps down the stairs or the shower running and running. The dogs miss them too!
 
But a part of me is kind of excited that I get to clean up the kitchen(insert: any room in the house) and it will actually stay that way!  I kind of like having the full driveway open when I pull my car out and I really don't have to explain where I'm going or when I'm coming back.  I'm looking forward to trying new things that maybe I didn't have the chance to do before.
 
A good LIFE is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot and realize how blessed you are!
 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin